- Flattened rice (aval) – 3 Handfuls
- Cashew nuts (broken into pieces) – 10
- Peanut (broken into pieces) – 20
- Dry roasted channa (Pottukkadalai) – 20
- Mustard seeds – ¼ Teaspoon
- Turmeric powder - ¼ Teaspoon
- Cumin powder - ¼ Teaspoon
- Green chili (slit into half) – 2
- Curry leaf – 1
- Salt as needed
- Canola oil – 1 Tablespoon
- Heat a tablespoon of oil over medium heat in a wide frying pan. Add mustard seeds, when they pop up add cashew, peanuts and channa. Sauté until they are roasted half way.
- Add curry leaf, green chili, turmeric and cumin powders. Sprinkle salt. Toss them well.
- Add pressed rice and gently toss until they are roasted. After roasting pressed rice will be crispy (it takes for about 7 to 10 minutes) and tasty.
- It’s an excellent snack for tea or with a cup of hot milk.
- Flattened rice is also called beaten rice. It is dehusked rice, flattened into thin flakes. It is available in Indian stores in the name of Aval or Poha.
Any one can cook series 14 by Ayeesha